Ah, summertime. The perfect recipe for long, warm days of relaxation and minimal stress. With this sense of leisure, you may find yourself on the struggle bus when it comes to conjuring up a burst of inspiration to tackle a project or take on a new task. The good news is it’s never too late to reset your mind and revive your energy. Get a little punch of positivity with these simple tricks and tips!
1. Check in with Yourself – Suppressing your emotions can feel like a quick fix, however; denying your mind the ability to rationalize and cope with your thoughts and feelings can lead to unhealthy habits, low energy, and intensified stress, which can increase cortisol production, decrease nutrient absorption, and lead to a series of other physical ailments. Just as you would for physical activity, make time for your mental well-being every day to touch base with the issues you’re working to resolve and the goals you are looking to achieve. Remind yourself that it’s OK to not be OK and that just as other feelings come and go, this will too.
2. Soak up the Sun – Just as you nourish your body with vitamins and minerals through food, spending as little as 20 minutes in natural sunlight can do wonders for your natural energy, mental clarity, and even your metabolism. Sun exposure releases serotonin in the body, a hormone that helps your mind feel focused and balanced. Exposure to sunlight also helps the skin create Vitamin D which helps strengthen your bones and lower the risk of certain cancers.
3. Laugh a Little – All work and no play can make us all feel a little frazzled. Dedicate time each day for something that makes you smile. If cat videos on YouTube cause you to chuckle, squeeze that into your daily routine. Tune into your favorite comedy station on the way to work or swap stories with a friend who always brings a barrel of laughs. After all, laughter is the best medicine.
4. Break Free of Routine – Whether you’re putting 40+ hours a week into your career, or staying at home with your little ones, too much of a routine can hinder your ability to grow. If you find yourself feeling stuck in a grind, it may be time to make simple, small changes to your day. Pushing yourself to take small risks can help to extend your comfort zone and open your mind to new possibilities. Challenge yourself to introduce yourself to someone new, start a new workout, or even try a new food each day or week. A simple break from monotony can refresh your spirit and realign your goals, both big and small.
5. Get Your Heart Pumping – Whether on a treadmill at the gym, at the pool, or in the comfort of your own home, engaging in physical activity is one of the easiest ways to reset your mind and bring on the good vibes. Being active ignites a sense of achievement and has been scientifically proven to lower stress, decrease anxiety, and elevate your energy. Swap out cafeteria burgers with your coworkers for a 20-minute walk on your lunch break, and you may just be surprised at the amount of energy you bring back to the office.
What is your favorite mood and energy booster? Drop a line below!